Day One. D-Day. Determination. Hermit Life.

Reading: Ender’s Game – The Graphic Novel
Listening: James Vincent McMorrow  – Cavalier (Samuraii Remix)
Watching: Korra Season 3, Elementary
Playing: To the Moon…very slowly

And so it begins! Today is the first day of my six months of “non-participation in the workforce”—according to my dear brother, I am not technically “unemployed”, because I am choosing not to have a job. Thanks, Mr. Pedantic! (In all seriousness, he could very much lay claim to that name.) Here’s to six months of watching my savings dwindle away. Here’s to six months of living the hermit life. I am both tremendously excited and a wee bit nervous. Make that a whole lot nervous. A wee lot nervous?

Over the next few months, I will aim to keep to a dedicated schedule. Wake up at 7.30am or so. Work from roughly 8:30am to 5pm without too many long breaks. Work consists of brainstorming, researching, planning, writing, finding ‘inspiration’, blogging, and hopefully, more writing. In the evenings: work on my online courses, play soccer, socialise (that foreign concept), read, watch TV shows, play games, get further inspired. I haven’t yet worked out the weekends. They might be a shorter half-day of work: perhaps 3-4 hours in the mornings, if my creative brain isn’t feeling wrung out by then.

My poor sad ankle isn’t still fully recovered from the battering it received on the futsal court two months ago. It looks like what started out as a Grade 2 ligament tear of the ATFL (ligament on the lateral side of the ankle) has progressed into a tendinopathy of the tibilis posterior and also of the peroneus longus and brevis—basically, the tendons/muscles around both sides of my ankles. My foot and ankle ache after even a brief stint of running. It got me pretty glum at first. I guess I’ll just have to keep resting it, and maybe ease gradually back into 1-2 games per week.

I am still in the middle of interviews and applications, so my brain isn’t one hundred percent dissolved into holiday mode quite yet. One more interview tomorrow, and then quite possibly I am finished with trying to impress my superiors. And then I’ll have to wait another month or so to find out whether I have been accepted into the training college. The college interview on Friday didn’t go very well, so I’m feeling extremely ambivalent.

On Friday night we ate out at Meega: a tiny Korean place at the back of a Korean grocery store in Glen Waverley. We ordered sausage hot pot, ramen, rice, beef bulgogi, and two kinds of fried chicken (spicy sweet chilli; garlic and soy) between four of us, which was just the perfect amount. Since then I’ve been craving a plate of delicious japchae (Korean sweet potato noodles). Come at me!

Jap Chae


Reading back over this post, it sounds like I’m a bag of mixed emotions. Thrilled, happy, nervous, glum, stressed, and frequently hungry. But I reckon I’m mostly thrilled. I mean, who gets the chance to have six months off to write, roll around and dream of imaginary worlds? It’s a privilege and an adventure.

Here’s to the next six months! Time to put my creative hat on.



One comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s